The Mylan logo is a registered trademark of Mylan Inc. © 2016. All rights reserved.
Triggers are things that might cause an allergic reaction. For some students at school, a life-threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) can be triggered by something as simple as a bee sting during recess or eating a friend's snack with unknown ingredients. If a student has an allergy to peanuts or shellfish, exposure to these allergens can trigger anaphylaxis as well. Sometimes allergic triggers cannot be identified. If a life-threatening allergic reaction occurs and the cause is unknown, this is called "idiopathic anaphylaxis."
An allergic trigger cannot always be avoided, despite our best efforts. It is important to know the signs of anaphylaxis and how to react should it occur. This takes the cooperation of parents and the entire school community.